Soap Studio Closing -- Moving to a New Location
We're a little sad to announce that we'll be closing our Soap Studio location at 121 Owens Lane at the end of June.
A lot of factors have led to this transition, but it is ultimately the changing retail environment caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Our business model is rapidly changing, and we've adapted to it by shifting to online-only sales. Luckily, while we've seen a reduced demand for wholesale products, our retail sales directly to customers have grown steadily, so we definitely won't be closing altogether!
The location that we currently have is bigger than we need for those purposes, and so we're moving our production somewhere else. (At the end of this post, I'm going to copy/paste a recent statement we made on social media that goes into more detail for those of you who may have missed it.)
Our business will be changing in the following ways:
- We will be closing our online store temporarily on Monday, June 15th, at 10pm, as we prepare to move out. We will be closed to new orders for at least two weeks.
- Anyone who has already placed an order (not including pre-orders) will have their order delivered/shipped within a week of their order being placed.
- Orders with items on pre-order (shampoo bars/soap) will be shipping out at the beginning of this upcoming week.
- Orders placed between June 13th-June 15th will ship/be delivered in approximately 7-10 days.
- We are moving to a location that is not open to the public, so we will not be doing order pickups, Open Houses, soap classes, or other events. We will also not be attending festivals, craft shows, etc, at this time. We plan to continue doing local deliveries due to the high demand.
- We are downsizing to a small facility in response to a large decrease in wholesale orders, so we will not be processing many wholesale orders going forward. We are happy to still supply a few shops, especially our local stores, though we may have extended processing times as we will be producing items in smaller batches. We have closed our Faire Marketplace store at this time. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or would like to place a wholesale order.
- We may be changing our product offerings a little. We may be offering a smaller range of permanent products and may offer more limited edition releases. We are possibly discontinuing our lotions once supplies run out, but this is still undecided at this time.
If you have any questions at all, please contact me at email@example.com.
From our Facebook/Instagram:
"Today, I'm a bit sad. At the end of June, our lease on this studio is due for renewal, and we've decided that we won't be staying. The reasons why are many, and this isn't really enough space to fully explain, but I'll do my best.
When we first found this space a year ago, we invested our time, energy, and money in it, dreaming of soapmaking classes, product launch parties, and fun events, and some in-person shopping. But the most important part was the back of the shop -- it is huge, and gave us all the room we needed (and more) to continue to scale our business and better supply the many small businesses around the country that stock our products. We got off to a great start and had a really promising holiday season.
But then, life happened. And now, most of the stores that stock our products have been closed for months, and many will never reopen their doors. Many of those that have reopened have not yet seen sales rebound, or have shifted to mainly online sales. Events like craft fairs and shows, which are essential to our business, that we typically plan for months in advance, have been cancelled, and we have no way of knowing when it will all be back to normal. And things like soapmaking classes, parties, and shopping all carry levels of risk for our customers. So, we've decided that in light of all of this, this big, beautiful space is no longer for us.
But that doesn't mean we are done. What we have noticed over the last few months is a surge in online orders, from a large group of dedicated customers. So, we are changing the way we do things. We are downsizing to a space not open to the public. We'll continue to produce our products, but on a smaller scale, focusing on getting our products directly to our awesome customers instead of to stores. We'll continue to do local deliveries. We'll still stock a small handful of stores by request. We'll make a lot more small-batch items. We're viewing this not as a step back, but as a necessary adaption to the current craziness of the world. And we hope that even as we close these doors, we'll still have your support as we try to successfully transition into whatever's next for all of us. Y'all stay safe."